OT - Finger Dexterity
These activities can be timed after initial experience, as this introduces normal pressures often found in daily life.
- 20-30 matches and a matchbox
Placing matches into matchboxes as quickly as possible.
- Shoebox and 24 spring clothes pegs
- Placing pegs around the top of shoebox, using index finger and thumb to open and close them.
- Matches or toothpicks
- Making forms or shapes from sticks.
- 10 coins and 10 empty matchboxes.
- Open each matchbox, place in one coin and close. Start with coins box, take out coin, close box, place coin on top of box. Then replace coins.
- Graph paper and sharp pencil.
- Make holes in graph paper with sharp pencil in every square
- Designated patterns or shapes.
- Bolts, nuts or wing nuts.
- Screw 10 nuts onto bolts as quickly as possible.
- Acoustic tiles and 20 golf tees.
- Fit tees into holes. Make patterns or shapes.
- Coins, money box.
- Place coins in various shapes and patterns, then post them into money box. Place coins in various positions in relation to box. Left, right, near, far etc.
- Beads and lace
- Threading beads as quickly as possible. Use large beads to begin with, then progress to smaller ones.
- Fit pieces together as quickly as possible. Take them apart. Make familiar shapes or objects as quickly as possible.
- Scissors, paper circle
- Cut as many circles out of paper as possible. Superimpose a square on each circle.
Cut around the square to make as long a piece of paper as possible.
- Tracing a maze without taking pencil off the paper, and staying within the lines.
- Dropping marbles into a bottle, using bottles with progressively smaller necks.
- Stretching rubber bands over nails in various shapes as quickly as possible.
- Completing simple jigsaw puzzles as quickly as possible.